Today we at Meryl’s Termite and Pest Control are going to talk about anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis is basically a severe allergic reaction with a very quick onset which can lead to death. It’s relevant to our world of pest control due to venom being a major and dangerous cause of anaphylaxis. Beside venom which can be delivered through stings(bees, wasps, ants, etc) and bites(venomous snakes), other cause of anaphylaxis are triggered by food and medication.
When most people get stung by a bee or wasp it’s always painful but usually besides some swelling and itching the problem remains localized to the area of the sting. With people who are susceptible to stings the onset of symptoms begins quickly and dramatically. Signs and symptoms include:
- Abdominal pain
- Abnormal (high-pitched) breathing sounds
- Chest discomfort or tightness
- Difficulty breathing
- Difficulty swallowing
- Itchiness, hives
- Nasal congestion
- Nausea or vomiting
- Skin redness
- Slurred speech
- Swelling of the face, eyes, or tongue
If you or anyone you know may be having such a reaction that could be anaphylaxis it is to be considered an emergency situation that will require professional medical attention immediately. Start by calling 911. Keep the victim calm. In the situation of a bee sting, scrape the stinger off the skin with something firm such as a credit card or a fingernail. Do not use tweezers since this will pump even more venom into the victim. In some situations CPR may be necessary.If the person has emergency medication on hand, help the victim take the medication but avoid oral medication if the person is having difficulty breathing to avoid a choking hazard. To help prevent shock, you can have the person lie down flat on their back while raising the feet about twelve inches while covering them with a blanket. However, you should not place the victim in this position if a injury to the head, neck, back, or leg injury is suspected.
The horntail wasp can deliver a sting.